Ruminations of the Mind | The Modern Hidalgo

Questions about 2001: A Space Odyssey, and other stuff.
THE MODERN HIDALGO: Entry_024
Written: Wednesday. July 31, 2019.


Tomorrow’s gonna be August…didn’t notice that until now.

Yesterday, I wasn’t able to produce an entry for this daily journal of mine, mainly because I wasn’t able to go home due to my folks insisting on me staying at the hospital room.


So that’s what happened. I spent the night there. I brought along a new book to read with me, called 2001: A Space Odyssey. This is another case of “I wish I could’ve read the book first, before watching the movie”. Because I can’t stop thinking about the movie while reading the book.

I have this life rule, wherein if there’s a movie or TV series that I wanna watch, if there’s a book about it, I should probably read that first, so that I could have a better perspective once I start watching its movie or TV series counterpart.

And I didn’t follow that rule when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably because I haven’t made the rule yet back when I watched it.


The first part of the book is the part where the apes are witnessing the monolith, and the monolith is witnessing the apes. That’s what happens as well in the movie. Though the book does have some more description-heavy detailing when it comes to telling that scene.

And a few other things happen in the book that might not have been in the movie, since I can’t recall what actually happens in the movie.

But I do recall certain angles or shots from the movie while I’m reading the book. And I can’t help it; It’s there. It’s not going to leave. And I can’t do anything about it.

Much like how the 2001 story basically is. Inevitability of the course of evolution, this case being Man.


The monolith has some kind of hand in the process of how mankind evolves into how it is described today. The reason as to why still remains a mystery to me, as I have not finished reading the book just quite yet.

The presence of the monolith is described quite vaguely, almost as if the writer, Arthur C. Clarke, doesn’t want us to pay much attention to it, much like how the man-apes don’t give much interest in the presence of such an odd and very mysterious artifact in the middle of where they are living.

It’s purpose there, unknown. It’s reason for being there, unknown. It was just there, to analyse that point in time and space, where mankind was about to embark in a journey that would ultimately lead to their demise.

Was it really the monolith that causes man to do radical things, or was it man’s eternal hunger, that made it inevitable.

If the monolith wasn’t there in the first place to observe mankind, would mankind have been able to evolve? What brought it there to conduct observation in the first place?


It’s the Chicken or the Egg question. Much so, that trying to find an answer to the question would only lead to more questions.

So there really is no point to questioning it, I guess I just have to accept it for now. And thread on with finishing the story.

Though I’m curious as to know how it might be possible to focus on reading tomorrow, when Avengers: Endgame is available for download in any illegal distribution website out there?

Will I be able to read a lot of chapters in the book? Or will I spend 3 hours watching Avengers: Endgame?


I’ll probably watch Endgame first, and then move on to reading 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I was supposed to start reading Fuzzy Sapiens by H. Beam Piper, which is the sequel to Little Fuzzy, the book I read prior to what I am reading now.

But I decided against it, since I still haven’t a copy of Fuzzies and Other People, the third book from the franchise, and might be the legitimate ending of the main story, since there’s technically a third book out there, by a random author who took the Fuzzy franchise after the suicide of H. Beam Piper.

Fuzzies and Other People was written by Piper, but was only seen in his basement years later.

So it’s a bit sketchy that I would be able to find a decent copy of the infamous novel. I hope so. I really do hope so. But with those odds stack against me? I might be entering a tough task.
But who’s to say it can’t be possible?
Not gonna lie, I’m a bit tired right now. I’m all alone in the house, since three of my family members are at the hospital right now.

I mean, it’s only fair. I was stuck in the hospital since yesterday, and was only able to go back here in the house today.
Hence, why I wasn’t able to write an entry for yesterday.
I know, I’ve thought about it too. Why couldn’t I just write an entry on my phone and transfer it afterwards?

that’s because I’m concerned with the word count of the journal entry. And I have no app that indicates the amount of words I’ve produced. No app like that exists so far. Evernote might be able to do that. But I can’t set up another Evernote account without unsyncing from my laptop or desktop.

And unsyncing is a hell of a hard time. That’s why people need to start petitioning Evernote to make their “Up to 2 devices” policy a “Up to 3 devices” instead.

Who’s with me? Should Evernote allow us to set up 1 account in 3 devices max? Yes! So make it happen Evernote! I’m lookin’ at you, kid!
Make it happen. God Dammit. Rooney! What the hell’s the mattah widdyah?!
If you guys don’t get that reference, then you should definitely start watching all of John Hughes movies.

That reference in particular, was from Ferris Beuller’s Day Off. Sweetly Timeless movie from the 80's.

Word of the Day: Xenomorph.
  • Something unusually or irregularly shaped is a xenomorph—which is why it’s become another name for the eponymous creature in the Alien film franchise.

* * *


* * *



Comments