Big Bad Wolf 2020 Haul | The Goal of a Thousand Books

Written: Thursday. March 12, 2020.

Date of Purchase: February 19, 2020.

Price:
The Rise of Io by Wesley Chu - 190 Pesos.
Madness by Roald Dahl - 190 Pesos.
The Tetris Effect by Dan Ackerman - 190 Pesos.

I actually only bought The Rise of Io out of these three. Madness and The Tetris Effect were books that my mother paid for, lucky me.

I almost bought books like Altered Carbon, and two short story compilations of "The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy". I decided on not choosing those, cause I've seen Altered Carbon several times in Fully Booked, so I could buy that whenever I stumble upon it. The short story compilations weren't really that good, when I tried to read them. Plus, it was a collection of stories from various writers. 

I kind of prefer it if it was just a single writer. Cause then I wouldn't have to deal with the constant adjustments when dealing with the shift in writing styles. If it were several writers in one collection, I'd have a hard time liking its contents, cause I wouldn't be able to pinpoint where I stand on how I feel with the whole collection itself. Also given the fact that it's literally called "The Best" out of each year's edition kind of gives it this high expectation, but falls when you actually try to read from it.

There was also this other short story collection from this one author. I think it was a brand new publish, but I decided on Roald Dahl's Madness, cause I liked reading it more. Can't remember if I actually read the other collection that I'm talking about. But my decision was also based on the idea of me trying out a different genre other than sci-fi. So Madness was definitely coming home with me. And also there's a monkey on the cover.

As for The Rise of Io, I didn't think it'd be part of a series of books when I bought it. But I didn't have data on my phone that day, so I didn't have the chance to research the rating for the book, let alone know that there's been three books prior to this one. Though, it's sort of a second serial release. The first book of a second season of books taking place in the same world as the first season... 

For The Tetris Effect, I think this was the best book I found that day. It was the book that got me reading the whole first chapter. I couldn't drop the damn thing until I finished reading that first chapter. It was so gripping and interesting and exhilarating, that I just had to buy it. It reminds me of Social Network. Just the way it's written is so similar to the vibe and emotional grip that Social Network provides. 

I was invested the moment I started reading. Cause for one: it wasn't written like a reference book. Though, I wouldn't really know how historical or documentary books work, cause this is by far the first experience I've had with the genre. 

GO BACK

Comments