Retro Sci-Fi Books | The Goal of a Thousand Books

Written: Sunday. April 12, 2020.

Books: 
  • Android at Arms Andre Norton = 8 Pesos.
  • Codgerspace by Alan Dean Foster = 8 Pesos.
  • The Ship that Sailed the Time Stream G. C. Edmondson = 8 Pesos.

Date of Purchase: June 28, 2019.

These are the kind of book hauls that I don't really give much thought to as to why I bought them. I remember still trying to find a bunch of Alan Dean Foster novels from Chapters and Pages--maybe even in Book Sale. I was just interested with his work cause there were so many books under his name that were just book titles from various franchises.

He did a lot of novelizations, which were book versions of films after they were released in cinemas. Like Star Wars & Terminator, to name just the few that I've seen. But he also has a lot of original stories. And I mean a lot. I think he's got a lot more books written than Stephen King. But that doesn't really reflect or measure up his quality, I guess. Quality is always better than Quantity. Those who say otherwise are liars or in denial.

Anyway, I was able to find one of his original works, Codgerspace. It's about a bunch of senior citizens discovering an ancient and abandoned alien spaceship under their retirement home... it's that kind of sci-fi where you're just gonna have to shut the logic out, and enjoy the ride. And I sort of did. It was interesting. Definitely different than what I've usually read. It captured the vibe of the time it was written. So there's that.

I think what most sci-fi novels of the past sort of rarely ages well, anymore. There'll be some that could still feel relevant, depending on what state of calamity the world is or whatever. But there'll be those sci-fi novels that are just way too outdated, cause it's either technology has advanced farther than the expected, or the theories and speculations made in these retro sci-fi novels have been proven to be completely ridiculous and impossible to make. There's would even be political or sexual factors that are now outdated. Like how female characters were portrayed back then, compared to how they're portrayed now in pop culture. There's a big difference, and some sci-fi writers just didn't think a future like that would be the way it'd go.

As for the two other books I bought in this haul, Android at Arms and The Ship That Sailed The Time Stream are two examples of what I have just pointed out when it comes to the faults of old sci-fi. I'd probably donate them once it's possible for me to donate in bulk.


Comments