Second-Hand Friends | Short Story Weekly # 3

Written: Thursday. September 3, 2020.

I stumbled upon this game that I've been wanting to play since I was a kid. I wasn't able to do that, because by the time the game came out, my console broke, and our dad never really bought us a new one, or any other console since. Now that I have my own money, I could basically buy whatever comes to mind. And this game that I just bought was the first thing I thought of.

It's not the best game out there, really. I've always just enjoyed playing games where you get to run around and collect items that you could then turn into other items in order to level up or have a better or faster gaming experience. This game is just a chill game to play. I've played the sequels on emulators, even tried writing a fan-fiction story of one of my play-through sessions. I never really wrote more than 2 chapters on that story, though. I wonder what it could've been like to finish writing that thing? Too bad I immediately removed the file from the computer. I can't really remember how it went, either. Oh well.

So, about this game--I bought it awhile ago. It was the most exhilarating experience, too. I was just browsing through this old game shop that still sold retro cartridges, and there it was. I've been in that store for how many times, and never did I hope to find a fully-working copy of this game, let alone in mint condition. Or at least it seemed that way, due to how polished and clean the cartridge still looked.

I had previously bought the console for it a few weeks ago, and bought and played a couple of games I found at the shop. I'm just about ready to play a new game, too. The odds are really in my favor today.

I got home just awhile ago, and quickly ran up to my room, neglecting the yells my mother gave me as she saw me entering the house. Did you pick up your sister from her school? She asked me. I completely forgot about her, but none of that matters anymore. The only thing that does is this game.

* * *

Strange. I could've sworn this game was brand new. It looked brand new, but as I opened the game on the console, it had a saved file. Must be from a previous owner. Man, it's been years since this game came out. I guess the original owner just forgot to delete his file as he sold this to the store. Let me just take a look at this and see how he did. 

Hmm, weird. For a game this old, the non-playables have quite the interesting dialogue. They're asking me if I've seen Carlos. Must be the previous owner's name.

"I'm Carlos." I typed down with the game pad, just to see how they'd reply.
"No, you're not!" The non-playable character said. "What did you do to our friend Carlos?"

Comments