The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan | Book Review

Written: January 10, 2019.

This is the first (1st) installment of a book review series, based off of the books I was able to read within 2018.

Book discussed: The Lost Hero, book one of The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan.

Back in High-school, I always relied on my parents buying me the stuff that I wanted. Those were mostly things that I saw at the mall. Very commonly: a robot, a game-boy cartridge, a new K-zone magazine for the month. Or in this case, a book.

When I saw The Lost Hero in National Book Store, I was amazed by the cool-looking metal dragon on the book cover. I told my mother to buy the book for me, and after some begging, she surrendered, and bought the book for me.

We still had a car back then. When we got to the car, I removed the plastic cover of the book, and started reading. Back then, you couldn't really consider what I was doing as reading. I was just looking at the words, but could never really understand what the hell was happening. A child's mind has a weird way of processing things. But some of the words did make sense to me. Especially when I noticed the name "Percy Jackson" in the book.

The name seemed familiar to me. I just couldn't piece out why. Until I did some research, and discovered that Percy Jackson was the main character of this movie I had just seen recently, that was about gods and monsters based off of Greek mythology. And then I discovered that the movie "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief" was based off of a book with the same name.

Later did I realize that there was a whole book series, all about Percy Jackson's character, that took place before the events of The Lost Hero.

Yes. I had bought and read The Lost Hero before knowing that it was connected to the Percy Jackson series. It was like watching the first episode of a show's second season.

So I went and bought the first book series, after finishing reading The Lost Hero.

That was years ago.

From the late half of 2017, I decided to read the Percy Jackson books again. And when I finished, I went and read The Lost Hero again. This was back in January 2018.

I really couldn't remember most of what had happened in the book. It's always like I'm reading something that I've already read before. What I mean by that, is something that I've noticed between "The Lightning Thief" and "The Lost Hero". 

There's a specific chapter in each of the books that I found to be quite interesting. It was interesting to me because those chapters ended very similarly. If you own both of the books, take a look at Chapter 8: We Capture A Flag, of The Lightning Thief. Look at the last page of the chapter. Now look at Chapter 10: Piper, of The Lost Hero. Look at its last page as well.

Notice how both Percy and Piper ended up having their godly-inheritance revealed to the public, and the same supporting character, Chiron, announces it.

I mean, what do you guys think of it? Is it just coincidence? Or am I on to something here? If anybody could contact Rick Riordan about this, please let him explain this shenanigan.

I also noticed this one other thing about The Lost Hero. And it's about the main character. You see, unlike its predecessor, there are 3 main characters in this story. Jason, Piper, and Leo.

I'd like to point something out about Jason. See, Jason has amnesia. He's also the son of Zeus, the God of Lightning. But he doesn't know that, so when his life is at risk, he suddenly activates his godly-powers like a pro. Like a pro! And yet he doesn't even know who he is, how he could do these cool tricks, and why he's there in the first place. All throughout the book, Jason is trying to find out who he is and where he came from. Does this sound familiar? I'll give you a hint: First, his name is Jason. Second, Matt Damon. The Jason character is based off of the Bourne franchise's titular character! Who's also named Jason. Who also happens to have amnesia, and also has these amazing martial arts skills, like using a pen to fight off a thug, just because.

Rick Riordan, I haven't read Mark of Athena-onwards. If I see something like this again, I might just quit you. Entirely.

Anyway, I have nothing more to say, really. I liked most of the story. But maybe when it got the end, I sort of got lost. Maybe because what was happening in the end didn't really make sense in my head. Or that there was too many interstitial things happening all at once, that it was a bit hard to keep track of the scenario. I'll probably read this again in the near future, once I decide to finally buy Mark of Athena.

Rating System:
Story = 5
Writing Style = 6
Physical Synesthesia = 7
Time it took to finish = a week & a half = 8
Price = P345.00 = 6

Overall = 6.4 / 10 

FOR MORE REVIEWS, CLICK HERE

Comments