Old Omens: Journal Entry #021

Written: Monday. August 30, 2021.

I posted a video today, which was something that I started to do last night. I could've finished making the video last night, if only I wasn't lazy enough not to get my external hard drive downstairs. But anyway, I did it. This is the second time I edited a video on PowerDirector (mobile) since back when I still edited vlogs there on my older phone.

I still haven't found that sweet spot yet. Editing on mobile, I guess, really is a tedious effort to do. It's definitely not recommended, but since it takes a short amount of time to render a single video on mobile, I'll take that exchange any day. It's just that I feel like there are more steps when you want to edit a video on mobile.

What I did this time was I pre-recorded a voice over on my laptop using the mic from my earphones. I then edited the voice over via Adobe Premiere, then placed the audio file on my google drive. Downloaded the audio file from google drive to desktop computer, in order to send it via ShareIt on my Tablet. I then picked out screenshots from various Kamen Rider episodes for visualization, sent the photos via ShareIt on my Tablet, then started putting those screenshots onto PowerDirector. Once the rendering was done, I simply had to upload it on YouTube via the built-in browser my Tablet has. That's about 8-10 steps in order to get one video out onto YouTube.

The final output isn't really as good as I'd like it to be, but if I had managed to be more productive last night and finished the video by then, I would've only gone through 5-6 steps for that whole process. So next time, future me, don't be a fucking potato, and get that shit done as fast as possible.

If I had done everything on my Laptop: I would pre-record the voice over on the laptop, send it to Premiere, then edit it out, then place the necessary visuals (clips. not pictures only), and then have the finished render in about 3-5 hours after the fact. I spent 1-2 hours making the video, and wait 3-4 more hours on the rendering. That's 5-6 hours for just one video.

If I go through editing on my Tablet: I would pre-record on my laptop (10-20 mins), send it for editing on Premiere (30-40 mins), make necessary screenshots for visuals (10-20 minutes), send the files over to Tablet, then edit it all out on the Tablet (30 mins), render time would be around 15-20 mins. That's a total of 2 hours and 10 minutes.

The question to be asked is: should I replace quality and time over quantity and efficiency? Maybe. Especially if we're talking about YouTube here. The algorithm doesn't care about quality, it cares about quantity. But another question is, if your content looks mediocre, will the potential audience watch it? Will they ever think to click on the Subscribe button and check out more of your videos? I don't know. What I only know for a fact is that your videos will pop up more on other accounts' recommendations if you put out more videos in a week. And that's the struggle of being a YouTuber.

I'm basically a one hit wonder at this point. I did the Voltes V Legacy videos, now it's no longer doing shit for me. I'm doing Tokusatsu videos (although I have only done two related videos at this point), and it isn't working out.

What will be the long term effect of this particular crusade? Sure, my goal is to someday be able to get enough money to create my own Tokusatsu-inspired show, but in order to get there, I have to have a plan. What is the plan? What do I need to do? How much time will this take me? How do I lessen that amount of time? These are the questions that need answering. And the only way to do that, I believe, is to just start doing shit.

But the problem is that I don't feel as though this is an efficient, or maybe balanced, process. I'm spending more time watching a dozen Tokusatsu episodes, than I am making videos in regards to that. It's an uneven trade, which begs another questions of will it be worth it?

To me, I'm enjoying watching these shows. But in order for me to monetize that, I have to be able to think of interesting content that can be found from watching tokusatsu shows.

I took a break from writing this journal entry, in order to find a review that I discovered while I was still trying to find copies of Himitsu Sentai Gorenger on the internet. There's this YouTuber named MarzGurl, and she has a couple of videos on her channel where she reviews seven episodes of the series, cause she watches 7 videos per week. I tried watching it, but only got through half of it, before deciding to quit. Not because I found it boring, but because I reached a part where she's explaining an episode I haven't watched yet.

Most of the videos I find regarding Super Sentai are either toy videos, opening theme song compilations, or transformation compilations. Never really the kind of videos that I put out, which means that I'm touching on something that's arguably unique.

MarzGurl also mentioned in her video that the Japanese Spider-man series was the first to ever introduce Megazords into the Tokusatsu genre. Which means that I'll probably have to give the series a try. It's interesting to find out that a foreign property is the reason for a big staple in the genre. Like the idea didn't come from a local property, it came from another. That's how wonderful reality can be. When you mix up cultures, you get something new each time you do so.

That's it for this journal entry. I'm basically just stretching this out to fill in the last remaining words I need to make a thousand.

* * *


* * *


Comments