Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card | Book Review


Written: December 29, 2018.

This is the third (3rd) installment of a book review series, based off of the books I was able to read within 2018.

Book discussed: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

This is another book that has a movie counterpart, like the previous book review I made for Smaller And Smaller Circles by F H Batacan. 

I watched the movie in cinemas with my friends. But ever since, I've kind of forgotten about it. But then I saw the book in Fully Booked's Gateway branch. I searched it up before I decided to buy it. And I learned that the book was recommended to military camps. They gave this book to new recruits, or new soldiers, I don't know. And upon reading this book, I then understood why.

This is supposedly Science Fiction. But the author didn't know how to write sci-fi. He read a lot of Isaac Asimov's The Foundation series, which is very hard Science Fiction. But he himself did not know how to write a good science fiction story. So he instead wrote a good military story. And this book nails that idea. I myself don't know how to write a good science fiction story, but I truly love the genre ever since I was a child.

Out of all of the books I've read in 2018, Ender's Game was the one I brought with me to class. I read it while the professors were lecturing us. I finished a quiz early so that I could have time to read a few pages from the book, while others were still looking at their neighbor's answers. 

Although, I forgot to bring it with me when I took a vacation with my dad to Baguio. That was a dumb move from me. That 10 day reading-span could've been 5 if I had brought it with me.

Ender's Game is such an amazing story. It is well written. It is well done. This is a book that really captured me emotionally. Because I felt what the characters were feeling. It gives you a sense of the military world. It lets you think and feel like the titular character of the story, Ender Wiggin. People have praised this book. I myself believe that being able to read such a well polished piece is a gift to all readers, and serves as a reminder for all writers, that a genre is only the skeleton of a book, and the story is the spirit.

I mentioned earlier that I have watched the movie-adaptation of this book many years-prior to reading it. When I got done reading the book, I went ahead and watched the movie again with one of my friends. As I was watching the movie, I can't help but see the particular changes they made. I'm not saying these were bad changes. They were actually understandable changes, and I ended up still liking where the movie went. At the very core, the movie succeeds to capture the many things the book tries to tell us. It was a good adaptation. Something director's usually fall short on, when adapting novels into films.

In the next book reviews I'll be posting, I'll talk more about the problems filmmakers come across when doing book-to-film adaptations. A few of the following books I've read this year fall into that category. Sometimes, it even goes in reverse. Like the next book I'll be reviewing, which is a book novelization of three well known movies. 

Stay tuned for that review. In the mean time, you can go ahead and visit my page if you want to read more of my stuff. You could also hit that clapping button thingy, to help boost this blog.

Thanks. I'll see you in the next one.

Rating System:
Story = 9
Writing Style = 9
Physical Synesthesia = 8
Time it took to finish = about ten days = 9
Price = P331.20 = 7
Overall = 8.4 / 10


Comments