Burnout & some of the Ways to Escape it | The Modern Hidalgo

Post-it-notes, Chill days, and other Ideas.
THE MODERN HIDALGO: Entry_007
Written: Wednesday. July 10, 2019.


So I've been having a bit of a problem when it comes to choosing what to talk about on my journal entries. The reason behind that is because I never really set out an itinerary of what to write about. I mean, I have the ideas. The ideas are there. It’s in my head. All I have to do is write about it in a journal entry.

But because there are so many things I want to talk about-so many ideas- I can’t decide on what to share for specific dates.

Am I gonna talk about this? Or am I gonna talk about that? Or am I just gonna wing it today? It has been like this for the first 6 entries. Now, in order for me to be more organized and more focused on what I’m supposed to write about on every single day, I've devised a simple way to remind myself of it.

I grabbed my Marker and some Post-it Notes, and stuck it at the bottom of the bunk bed, which would be the ceiling to which I always look at whenever I lie down in my bed.

I wrote specific topics for each day, so that I would only focus on those topics.

Mondays = Books
Tuesdays = Games
Wednesdays = Ideas
Thursdays = Productivity
Fridays = Wild Card
Saturdays = Films
Sundays = Chill Day
So that’s how I organized my schedule.

I've decided to make Sundays a Chill Day, meaning no daily journal entries every Sunday, only in order for me to prevent myself from feeling burnt out of doing the daily journal.


I hope you guys understand. I’m just human after all. We all are. And we totally feel burnout every once in a while. Especially just yesterday, I felt something I couldn't place my finger on. Didn't know the word to describe it.

I thought it was me starting to give up on doing the things I would normally be passionate about doing. But then I saw this article on Facebook, about “when passion leads to burnout”. And it talks about how most people, who have made their passions a 24/7 kind of deal, would often lead to burnout, which is the feeling you get when you’re just spent. When you’re just done with the whole shebang, and you get disgusted or resentful of doing it or getting things done.

And the reason why that happens is because sometimes, those passion-made-work type people often forget the difference between PROFESSIONAL life and PERSONAL life.

How I could further explain this is by analyzing my own situation.

I have been doing videos every single week. It’s been almost 3 months, I think, of just uploading and uploading and uploading of videos on my Youtube Channel. I haven’t been this prolific in producing content for my channel, ever. This would be the first time that I have went on and did something like this, for this long of amount of time. I've done it before, but only just for a week long, or three days long. And the quality of my content, as I have observed, from the beginning of the upload montage, was of good quality. At least to me, whenever I re-watch those earlier videos, I find it still interesting and enjoyable to watch.

Fast forward to the videos I've been posting recently. I noticed that I've just been posting “Quick Update” videos, and have never posted an actual video that had a unique topic to it.

I think what caused my videos to go south, was because I spend lesser time trying to think about it; trying to plan each video out.

I have been doing the “winging it” method, and just tackling each video head-first.

That sort of method might get me to make a lot of videos, but it wont get me to make good ones.

Get what I’m saying? It’s burnout. I’m burning myself out of ideas, that I just settle for the easy ones to do.

This might be a good segway for me to get into the topic of the day.
Wednesdays are for Ideas. And I have an Idea.
This idea has been inside my head for years. I've talked about it before with a couple of my friends. But here in the Philippines, you get smart-shamed for having good ideas. Or even just by speaking in English.

The idea is about building a Stop-Motion Animation Studio.


The film industry in other countries have their own selection of movies that are made with Stop-Motion Animation, which is using small-scale sets, with movable elements and characters, taking one frame at a time, mixing all of that together to create a beautiful stop-motion picture.

Examples of these are:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Isle of Dogs
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Nightmare Before Christmas
Missing Link
Early Man
Shaun the Sheep
Coraline
Corpse Bride

and many other notable stop-motion features. There are so many, that I can’t list them all here. You search it up for yourselves if you’re interested in it.

The reason why I want to start a Stop-Motion Animation Studio here in the Philippines, is basically because we don’t have one, at all. Maybe there is, but I have never encountered reading about that kind of studio existing in the Philippines. And if so, there could have been a couple Pinoy Stop-Motion features already, right? Right.

So that’s mainly an idea I've been wanting to see come to reality in the future. It’s an idea that would not only benefit me, but it would also benefit the Pinoy Film Industry.

It baffles me that we don’t even have it, since Stop-Motion Animation is literally a very “hands-on” form of film-making. And we Filipinos have such a culture that involves using our hands, our fingers, even occasionally our fists, into making different types of art, or dresses, or tools, what have you.

It’s about time that the Filipino People show what they've got when it comes to Stop-Motion Animation.

The best way to start is by using Clay. And that’s even a surprise, because in school, literally in kinder-garden, we are given blocks of Clay to play with.

Why not use it in a more intellectual way? I studied in art school in college, and we had several plates that required us to use Clay, but we never really got into doing Stop-Motion.

I mean, it was suggested, but it was never mandatory. Professors never took the art-form too seriously, or nobody ever dared try to indulge in it in a serious way.

It’s sad that we don’t give it a try, and just stick with the norms all the time. It’s high time somebody, in this country, make such a difference.

That’s why I’m gonna try to make the Stop-Motion Animation Studio Idea happen…in the future.
Hold me to it!
Word of the day: Gaggle.
  • any group or cluster.
I need a gaggle of creatively-driven people, to help me make my idea turn into a reality.

* * *


* * *



Comments