The Difference Between Cinematic Universes and Standalone | The Modern Hidalgo

Discworld, Goosebumps, MCU, and other franchises.
THE MODERN HIDALGO: Entry_004
Written: Sunday. July 7, 2019.


I was gonna search up a word from the inter-webs for this entry, but I just remembered a notable topic from a conversation I had with David, my friend, last night (though it was actually after midnight). And I've decided on picking that word for today’s log.

Ever heard of Discworld?

Discworld is a flat planet balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle.
It’s a book series from the English author Terry Pratchett, that spans 41 books that inter-connect with each other, or is in the same realm, called Discworld. The reason being is that Discworld is a flat planet balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle. For the Flat-Earthers there (which I am not), Discworld is something you guys would enjoy. For Round-Earthers, basically logical people, not so much. Though, from 5 minutes of reading the wiki page, there’s also such a thing as Roundworld in the book series.

So there you go. Search it up. I wasn't really interested on it. I dunno why. But my friend got me curious on it, so I’m probably gonna add those 41 books on the list of books I’m gonna buy. In the future, of course.

This is the 4th entry so far. And I've missed a day of uploading. Way to go, Elmo. Way to go.

I apologize for that. Yesterday didn't really give me a chance to focus on the daily journal, because I was back and forth on doing production work for this thesis film my friend of a friend has. And I was doing a lot of things. Like fixing the set, holding the boom Mic, clapping the clapper, moving heavy set lights, etc. And there was little chance of staying still, to get into the vibe of writing for a daily journal. So I ended up not posting yesterday. My fault.

This was also a thing that troubled my scheduling last week. As I was due to record a “quick update” vlog on my Youtube Channel, a day before traveling to my friend Kurt’s place. I planned on doing the vlog at his house, but I didn't, cause we had a lot to catch up on with each other’s lives.

I’m a bit out of the vibe right now because I’m literally writing this down in the middle of our dining room, which is also the living room, which is just a few steps away from the sink, and the comfort room, etc. The TV is on. The chaos of it all is disrupting my focus. So bare with me if you sense that this journal is lacking gravitas.

What else happened yesterday?

Well, there was this on going situation where a crew from the set kept on hyping up my name to the other crew members (mainly the ladies). Because I’m known for being this “Social Media” influencer around the set. I am a number of many titles: A writer, a vlogger, a budding blogger (since for some reason I only just got started with doing this journal thing now and not way back then), a film-maker, a video-editor, an advertising practitioner, an idealist, a futurist, a book junkie, heck, a Youtuber, and many other things. But I guess the best way for people to interpret all of those titles is by hearing “Social Media Influencer” instead.

It’s such a broad title, that in a lot of many ways, it gets misinterpreted. And the last thing I want to happen is for people to misunderstand what I actually do in life.

Anyway.

Going back to the topic of book series: The conversation I had with David was mainly about comparing all these different book franchises…or universes? Either of the two. He was interested on the Discworld universe, and I was interested on the Goosebumps universe.


I know, I know.

Those two franchises are nowhere near each other, but I would beg to differ. Because both franchises have their books written in standalone formats.

Goosebumps titles are written in a way that you could pick any book title up, and still enjoy it, and not have to look for the other books, because each book has a unique story that doesn't really rely on much interconnection towards sequels or prequels. Discworld does the same thing, but Pratchett specifically has a writing style that negates the use of Chapters. He goes for a more Episodic way of telling stories, that allows the universe he’s writing about to interweave with each other in a fluid way.


And that’s why I’m interested in these universes, because they’re the polar opposite of what Movie Studios are doing right now. Hollywood is on the “let’s make our own damn cinematic universe” wagon ever since the Marvel Cinematic Universe proved itself to be a way for franchises to gain more money and make more movies. And this has lead others to follow along and make their own parody of a “cinematic universe”.

This can be seen in the DC movies, the Godzilla/King Kong movies, the Dark Universe (that dumb looking Tom Cruise movie), the Fast & Furious movies (with Hobbs and Shaw), the Transformers movies (since Bumblebee), and many more…to come.


And it’s kind of getting exhausting to keep up with these new cinematic universes popping up every single month, that a franchise like Goosebumps or Discworld comes as a breath of fresh air. At least, to me, it does.

We didn't just talk about those two franchises though. We also brought up the Spiderwick Chronicles (in which Kurt’s sister gave me her Omnibus copy of the first serial series, which is totally a win!), 39 Clues, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and other franchises that have more than five book titles.


I guess what I’m trying to say here is that in a world where new blockbuster movies are popping up every single month (sorry for using the same phrase), investing on different types of book series seems more appealing.


Of course, this won’t really be agreed on by everybody, but do try to at least go to your local bookstore, look at some books, find something you’re interested in, and invest your time on it. Dive deep into the written-world you choose. And steer clear of the YA sections. Not because its a bad genre. But you’ll learn more from the Adults section, or the pocket books section. Books that are written for smarter audiences. Not books that are tailored for those on the young side.

*I had to move back to the desk inside my bedroom so that I could focus on what I’m writing. Whilst “lofi hip hop radio — beats to relax/study to” is playing.*

Seriously, go and listen to it.

And get writing.

Comments