The Problem with buying Different Book Versions | The Modern Hidalgo

Witcher Workout, Three Musketeers, and other shindigs.
THE MODERN HIDALGO: Entry_068
Written: Tuesday. November 26, 2019.


Not so much of a good day today. I mean, nothing went bad. It just wasn’t as productive or as interesting, unlike the prior days. Today was just sort of me going through a pattern that I’ve developed through repetition.


I was able to read a couple chapters of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne. Was able to exercise. I actually did something different. Not completely different, though, with my routine exercise. I did it slowly this time. Not like ‘turtle’ slow. Just with a more breathing time capacity of reps. I lifted weights, but gave a few more seconds before I release or lift the weights.

I watched a workout video from Henry Cavill, which was sort of a sponsorship video for his upcoming fantasy show, “The Witcher”, which Henry Cavill plays the main lead. He shows some of the workout routines that he did, specifically for the Witcher role.


The video just popped out of the ethos of Youtube Main Page, by the way. It wasn’t like I was looking for the video in particular. Though maybe it popped up because I’ve been watching Daniel Greene’s Fantasy News videos, which has some Witcher content on it. So that might be the cause as to why the workout video appeared on the home page of my Youtube account.

Anyway, I decided to apply some of the things that were taught in that video, which was to take those breathing seconds in every lift, to maximize getting the muscles in shape.

And also this one exercise routine called ‘planking’. I’m not sure if that’s the right term. But it’s basically a push up position, but you use your whole forearm to hold your body steady above the ground, and you have to hold that position for as long as 30–45 seconds.


I didn’t get to hold it for as long as 30–45 seconds. I think I only lasted about a rough 20 seconds. So, not the best, but I tried it, and I think it took effect already. The purpose of the planking routine is to give you a boost on balance. And while I was browsing through Book Sale at the mall, which, if you’re a fond browser of books, especially second-hand bookstores, then you know that it requires a lot of squatting and crouching. My knees were steady awhile ago. I think it’s because of the planking thing. Not sure. Moving on.

* * *

I went to UST again today to settle my LOA form. Short story: I was able to do what I needed to do. Nothing more to discuss about that.

So the next train of thought that I had to deal with was deciding on which mall I’d go to afterwards. Should I go to SM North Edsa/Trinoma, since I haven’t been there for quite a while now. Or, should I go to SM San Lazaro, since there’s a book that I want to buy at the Book Sale branch there.

So I went to San Lazaro, mainly because I reasoned out in my head that if I go to North Edsa and/or Trinoma, I wouldn’t really get to buy anything there, cause I didn’t really bring a lot of money with me anyway. But if I went to San Lazaro, I could at least buy something there. And I already had something in mind, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

Penguin Classics Version.

Now, I’ve tried reading that book. Tried, because I never really got to finish reading it. Only because of the version that I had — to that, I am sure that that is the case.

I’ve mentioned this before, and I’ll mention it again: I found the version of Three Musketeers that I had a very hard read. Something about the translator not being able to translate it that well. Or he was just a shitty translator altogether.

Yet, when it comes to the Three Musketeers of the Penguin Classics version (the one that I have is the Collins Classics version), the story is easier to read, easier to understand, and comprehend, whatever is going on in the story. Whereas in the Collins Classics version, I had no idea what I was reading, let alone comprehend what was happening in the story.

Collins Classics Version.

The sentence structures of the translator (for the Collins Classics version) was such a mess to read. And the Penguin Classics version was a breeze.

I almost bought the book…but I got hungry, and decided on the latter.

Here’s the thing: I would have easily bought the book and could’ve went home to eat lunch. But I decided on not buying The Three Musketeers awhile ago, because of the thought that ‘even if I buy this book today, I wouldn’t be able to read it for quite a while’. Because of the array of books that I still have to read.

(I’m trying to convince myself that that’s really just the reason as to why I didn’t buy it. Though my head keeps on telling me that I just made a stupid mistake, and that I should have bought it and let myself starve. For the book, of course. Who knows if I get to see it the next time I browse through Book Sale.)

* * *

I’m alone at the house right now. My mom went out to pay for the Converge installation. I just don’t know when we’ll get it yet. Hopefully soon, so that our internet is fucking fast now.

All of this seems too sketchy to me. Think of it: We were able to buy my mom a new desktop. I was able to sway my dad to upgrade my laptop. And now this. We’re switching to Converge, a faster internet than PLDT.

It all seems sketchy to be happening all at the same time. Not literally at the same time, but you get the point.

All of these things are good things, mainly because they’re putting our situation one level higher. It is progression in plain sight. Yet, it’s happening at such an exponential rate, that I just find it sketchy.

This sort of thing never happens.

* * *


* * *



Comments