Stuff I’ve learned from reading about Tetris | The Modern Hidalgo

and other stuff.
THE MODERN HIDALGO: Entry_086.
Written: Tuesday. March 3, 2020.


I thought it was Wednesday today. Weird. I mean, that happens regularly, but still. I could’ve sworn that it was Wednesday today. Maybe it’s just because yesterday felt longer than most days.

Actually, this day feels longer than the other days. Cause I finally didn’t sleep through the afternoon. Though I did sleep through the morning cause I didn’t set up an alarm to wake up.

* * *

Tuesdays are for talking about games, but I don’t really have much to tell about games as of late. I haven’t been playing much of Chrono Trigger, or even Super Mario 64 in my laptop. I play Mobile Legends on my phone, but that’s just to pass the time. No real effort is made in that game.

Come to think of it, there is something I’d like to share. It’s this book I’ve been reading, about the game Tetris. It’s called The Tetris Effect by Dan Ackerman. It’s sort of a historical tracing of how Tetris was thought of, made, produced, and sold to the world. I haven’t been this intrigued to read a book in a while. I read constantly, but this Tetris book seems to keep me glued to my seat, metaphorically speaking.

The most interesting thing I’ve learned so far is that it was already an addicted game to play even before it was made by the creator of Tetris. Alexey Pajitnov was obsessed with computers and puzzles. Eventually he found a way to get both those things to come together, and Tetris was born. But it wasn’t that easy. He had a bunch of help from other skilled people when it comes to the computer language.

When I say computers, I don’t mean the things you see right in front of you today. I mean the olden day computer systems of the forgotten techno-era of the 80’s-90’s. The ones that only had green texts popping out of the screen. I’m talking the floppy-disk era.


Tetris was made by a Russian (I’m just writing down all I’ve learned so far, I’m not done reading yet), or Russians, cause there were several of them. But Alexey Pajitnov was the main dude. There was this one person named Henk Rogers, who created The Black Onyx — also a pixel game of the past — that pioneered Virtual RPG as we know it today to the Japanese, which them Japs got inspired to make their own: Final Fantasy, because they didn’t want any American to best them *wink*wink*. Rogers helped Pajitnov spread the game worldwide. The answer to how is for a later time, cause I haven’t finished reading the thing yet.
I’ll tell you all about it soon enough.
Also, reading the book just feels like I’m watching the Social Network for some reason.

It’s this fast paced movement of events by young and intellectual individuals working to make an idea possible and then spreading the fruits of their labor to the whole world, while having governmental and/or corporal or industrial problems and issues — or suits — following them around as they do so, all because these people are afraid of their power to change the world. It’s fucking amazing, and I love it.

I wonder if there’re more stories like this around the world. You know, complex backstories of people trying to make this one idea possible. I like those kinds of stories. Gives the world an exciting look, cause the real events are probably boring as hell.

That’s where the question of “Did this actually happen?” come into the picture. But I don’t mind that at all. I believe that if something’s exciting to listen to, then it’s just as good, even if it’s fake.

That’s why we have fiction and fantasy, folks. The real thing ain’t all that pretty sometimes.

* * *

I’m done reading The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. I’ve also done a book review on it — my first book review in the channel. No big deal. I’ve done several “kinda” book reviews in the past, that’s why it’s not that all exciting anymore.

I’m currently reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. So, I’m reading two books right now; Alternatively. It’s something new that I’m trying out. I wish I could read more in a day, but I also don’t wanna rush-read, cause I don’t get to enjoy a book that way at all.

You have to savor a book. Read it slowly. Understand the damn thing. Most important is to listen to what you’re reading. It’s physically impossible unless you get the point of what I’m trying to say here.

* * *

There’s this movie called Somewhere in Time, and it’s haunting me. It’s a love story, with some sci-fi to it, but just think of it as a love story. It’s tragic in every way possible.

They get together in the end, but they’re dead. The movie ends in the oddest way possible. Plus, I think there’s a plot hole to this movie. Don’t mind me about it, I don’t think it’s important or anything, but it’s bugging me.

*Spoiler Warning*

Elise’s manager needed to be explained more. Elise specifically said that he was able to know things before they happened. Only one other person could do that in the movie, Richard, the main character, who is also a time traveler who came back to make love to Elise cause he met her when she was old and got obsessed with her when he went to the Grand Hotel, where Elise’s young picture of her is put inside of a museum. Richard goes back in time to meet Elise, but is stopped by the conflict of the story, the Manager, William Robinson, or whatever.

William is a time traveler, I just feel it in my bones that he is. I thought the movie would be some kind of “Predestination” type of story, where Richard goes back again, but accidentally goes way back, and can’t go back to the future cause maybe he doesn’t have a coin from 1979 in his pocket to bring him back or whatnot.

So instead, he goes and changes his name to William Robinson, and then meets Elise as a young girl to make her an actress. This is to ensure his survival as someone not from the past but of the future. To make sure that his younger self would fall in love to a well established Elise from the past, not an alternate version of her where she’s a… well, I don’t know what alternative there is in that era for women. A maid?

I’m bothered by this, but this is also something that’s ultimately unimportant to think about for the story.

* * *


* * *



Comments