Old Omens: Journal Entry #018

Written: Thursday. August 26, 2021.

I reinstalled War of the Visions today. I figured I'd try playing the game again just to see if I could finish the main story without having to deal with the paywall. So far, I feel like I could, and this is coming from someone who's playing the game on auto mode. Meaning, I'm not even manually moving the units, I'm just letting the game's AI do its thing. It'd be funny if I get to finish the game without even having to do a single round on manual. That would mean that the game is a total waste of time. You kind of just watch it happen, and not have to worry about shit.

I might not record a playthrough today. I'm writing this sort of late in the night, but we'll see. I might change my mind after writing this journal entry down. I've also already spend the first half of today just recording my playthrough of War of the Visions. And I was able to record a bunch that could last me a week or more's worth of video uploads on my gaming channel. Sure I could record an Advance Wars playthrough every now and then, but tonight just isn't feeling like a night to do a recorded gaming session. But again, I might still end up changing my mind later on.

I also continued my playthrough of Vanguard, which was very nice. I'm getting to enjoy the game again, because I basically got back to how my card collection would've looked like in real life, if I hadn't sold it to a random dude online That's a big mistake I made that I definitely regret right now. Because I basically sold a part of my fleeting childhood life to someone who I didn't know. It doesn't matter what the person would do with it once I've given it to them, in return for a few bucks. What matters in that situation was my inability to see the true value of those cards that I worked so hard in getting, only to be sold at a very low price, just because I "needed" the money for something else. I can't even fucking remember anymore what I did with the money that I got from selling those cards of mine. What a waste of potentially good nostalgia.

But getting back to the present state of things, I'm starting to feel the euphoria that playing Vanguard gave me again. I'm winning games with the deck that I've built for myself. I actually sort of have the same deck build that I had back then. It was the Ripple Line Build for Aqua Force that I used to have, but with a few cards missing. Back then, I only had (still have, fortunately) two Last Card, Revonns. Now, in the mobile game, I have 4 Last Card, Revonn, and I think I even got an extra copy from a pull that I made in one of booster packs I bought in the game.

The good thing about this game is that I don't really have to spend real money in order to get the cards that I want. I could always just collect enough in-game currency to buy booster packs every now and then, and hope that I get to pull a RRR card or whatever. Even if I don't get to pull the card that I wanted, I might be getting something that's useful for another clan. The big difference with this game, and how it is when playing in real life, is that you get to build a deck from a clan from scratch, and be able to use it as quick as possible, even if the cards in your deck aren't all based on one clan specifically. There are placeholder cards that you could put in there, and you're good to go. Back then, you can't build a deck from a clan that you wanted, if you didn't have enough cards from the same clan.

I am ON right now, obviously. Bluestacks really has been giving me a good time, lately. I haven't stretched the limits of the software just yet, but I'll eventually get there.

I watched the latest episode of Riverdale, and it was a good episode. It was all about Hiram Lodge's origin story, which sort of ties with the themes of Reggie's B-story in the episode as well. We get to see Hiram in his teens, shoe-shining his way to life, but eventually shines the shoes of this mafia boss who gives him the opportunity to earn more than how much he usually gets from shining shoes. He basically becomes his errand boy, which is what Reggie is currently in their work relationship. We'll get to that later.

Hiram's father gets killed by the mafia boss's lackeys, and Hiram eventually kills of the lackeys, sending the mafia boss out of Riverdale. Hiram becomes the new boss, goes to New York to live his life as an insatiable rich person, and eventually goes back to Riverdale to finish something that his father had started back when he was still alive. You'd think that this episode has nothing to do with the current swing of things, but it's actually more important than you think. It's actually gonna be, I think, the A-story of this season.

The great part of this episode is Hiram deciding to let Reggie off his leash. He sees that Reggie is in a similar situation that he was in back when he was still starting out, and does the noble thing of letting him have a different life, and spend time with his father, which was something Hiram wasn't able to do, and wishes that he could've done it before it was too late for him to realize things.

That episode sort of humanized Hiram Lodge's character. It's something that the series needed, because Hiram was essentially just this evil villain in the series that pulled all the strings. He's still that kind of villain after this episode, but now we got understand the reason for his actions. His motivations are now clear to the audience. I really enjoy every scene that involves Hiram's character, but now he's even more of a good quality villain, because he's no longer this two-dimensional character that Archie and his friends have to face. He is a human being that just went through a darker path in life. It'll be interesting to see how Archie's gonna be able to break his beliefs and turn him into a good person. Or, you know, the writers could obviously just disregard that and let Hiram become a villain who's beyond redemption. In typical CW fashion...

* * *


* * *




Comments