Old Omens: Journal Entry #032

Written: Saturday. September 11, 2021.

Same old, same old. Fixed a few chapters from The Omnivault, played Asphalt 9: Legends on the Switch, slept in the afternoon, watched a few episodes of Initial D & Himitsu Sentai Gorenger & Mighty Max, finally finished reading the prologue for Crossroads of Twilight, and recorded a play-through of Advance Wars in order to upload onto the gaming channel.

I actually ran into a bit of a complication when it came to recording a good play-through of the mission I did for Advance Wars today. I had recorded a play-through that consisted of probably 2 and a half games that I lost. I deleted that video recording, and started a new one, which I was surprisingly able to finish very quickly. But I guess, given that I knew what to do that time around, it makes sense that I was able to get through that mission faster than I expected. It's so satisfying to win a mission like that, I'm now just realizing. I've always played Advance Wars in the wrong way, where I go back to certain save states in order to redo my actions in the game. It's a polite way of saying that I cheated every time I played the game. But this time around, I played the game as it was intended, and won the mission because I learned how to defeat it, by using the good old trial and error technique.

It's really refreshing to play this way, and I now regret all of the times when I played games with the save-state/load-state mechanic. Maybe this is why I've gotten bored of playing video games via an emulator for the past couple of years. I've been doing it all wrong! I could still play video games via an emulator, but I should play these games in the right way! Without cheats and speed-ups! I dunno yet if I'll ever do that for a Pokemon game, though...

But speaking of Pokemon, I was able to find a website that provides downloadable decrypted 3ds game files that you could put into the Citra Emulator. I downloaded Pokemon X awhile ago, and I tried the game out if it was gonna work well enough for my speed. And it did! The game ran smoothly on our desktop computer. I'm probably gonna spend a lot of time playing it in the next couple of days. I dunno yet if I'll be able to record a play-through of it though (with added commentary). I could absolutely play the game without commentary, but that would just be boring to watch, even for me.

If I want to record a play-through, I'll probably need to wake up very early on weekdays. Weekends—or whenever my dad's home—are gonna tough days to attempt a recording session. It's just too noisy in this house. I can barely record a decent voice over without having to cut a lot of takes in it, just cause there's so much traffic noise happening every five minutes!

Anyway, I looked back on the first day I uploaded a gaming video on my gaming channel a while ago. Turns out that I started this crusade on August 22, 2021. If I continue this voyage for a total of six months (starting from August 22), then I'll be done by February 22, 2022. The reason for the six months duration is just a formality thing. I think I heard it somewhere before that if you're starting a new business, you have to meet a break-even at around, or earlier than, 6 months-time. So that's sort of my mindset with this venture. I'm gonna allot 6 months into this gaming channel project, and hopefully I get to apply for a Partnership Program on that channel by that time, as well.

That way, I'll be able to play video games, and get paid doing so. It's the ultimate dream. Well, not really, but it can be.

My plan is to stick with uploading play-throughs that require minimum effort & little-to-no resources. Meaning, I'll be sticking with emulation, whether it be video games or mobile games. Once I've started gaining money off of my play-throughs, then I'll start to plan out the next steps, which is something like buying video games that I would also feature on the gaming channel.

After that, I'll move on to playing table-top games, which will require me to recruit a bunch of friends that I would play games with. It's gonna be like a "road-to-Smosh-Games" kind of mission. They're able to do all kinds of different game shows on their channel now, because they don't have to play video games all the time anymore. They did that already in the past, and they have the money and resources to just do what they want to do. That's gonna be my goal in this whole thing.

There's no more to talk about today. I literally have nothing in my head that I could talk about. I need to do more in the day to be able to talk about something. Literally anything. I haven't learned anything new in a while, so I might do that tomorrow.

One thing I forgot that I've been doing lately is that I'm reading comics. Graphic Novels, more likely. I somehow can only tolerate reading Mike Mignola comics. Hellboy's one of the earliest things I've appreciated in this world (also because a Hellboy-related novel was the first book I got in my whole life). Weirdly enough, I'm not actually reading a Hellboy comic right now. I'm reading a Sir Edward Grey comic, which is still a part of the Hellboy universe...I think.

One of the things I've learned is that Mike Mignola's second favorite character that he's created is Sir Edward Grey. First would be Hellboy. The reason why I love reading Mike Mignola stories is because almost all of them stand-alone. It's like Conan stories. You don't need to care about timelines. Every single story takes place SOMEWHERE in the chronology. This means that there are no non-canon stories. Just canon.

* * *


* * *



Comments